Monday, August 11, 2008

the journey of a single step begins with a thousand miles



Am I alone in the world?

My head tells me I am, have always been, will be. My heart doesn't believe it, believes I'm deeply connected to other people and will connect in better ways, more meaningfully. My gut is a bit afraid of the answer. And the youth that still remains in my muscles doesn't care what the answer is, just wants to find out, just wants action, motion.

So, I am setting out. Partly to answer the question. Partly just to take a break, have a journey, live a little differently. The jet plane ticket is for five weeks. I'm hoping I am lucky and the journey will be 40 more years.

I'm traveling a bit across the United States, but mostly in Europe. So far, it's been Ann Arbor, Boston. Coming up: Rome and Italy for sure, Israel and Tel Aviv maybe, and a week in Iceland with a few days sprinkled in transit across Germany and Switzerland.

I'll log some of what I experience these five weeks. Also, I'll just write some. And put in some regular travelogue stuff. If my blog looks lustrous and shiny at the end, I'll continue it in December with my trips to Antarctica, Argentina, Rio de Janeiro.

If I hear from you or you ask me about my experiences, I'll invite you to read along.



1 comment:

TiberiusB said...

Today I was on the beach reading my book on Network Economy and I realized how fast the world is changing. I was later eating peaches and throwing the peel high-up in the air, watching the birds desperately fighting for it. I asked myself if these major changes will render humans worse than these greedy birds. No, I am no going to let myself slide into this muddy pessimist thinking, I have faith in the human spirit.

You are not alone!

Enjoy your journey free man and keep us close to you, send us picture, let us taste the whine you’re drinking, smell the seas you’re seeing, feel the snow you’re touching.

tb